• Home
  • Parashah
  • Ask the Rabbi
  • Festivals
  • Freemasonry
  • Articles
  • About
  • Books
  • Media

    Aliyah for a child of a non-Jewish father – Ask the Rabbi

    Q. If a man has a non-Jewish father but a Jewish mother, what name do we use when calling him to the Torah?

    A. There are several options.

    The R’ma (Rabbi Moshe Isserles) prefers to call him as the son of his mother’s father (Shulchan Aruch Orach Chayyim 139:3).

    The responsa of Rabbi Simcha Bamberger of Stuttgart say Ben Avraham (She’erit Simcha 2).

    Comments are closed.